SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT OF COMMERCIAL BANKING AND WEALTH TEAM LEADER, SOUTH FLORIDA MARKET, FLORIDA COMMUNITY BANK
Roberto Muñoz brings more than 35 years of financial experience to his leadership role at Florida Community Bank (FCB) as Commercial Banking and Wealth Team Leader for Miami-Dade County and South Florida. FCB has $13.0 billion in assets and more than 50 branches that provide consumer and business banking services throughout Florida.
In his banking career, Mr. Muñoz has facilitated more than $27 billion of economic activity in Florida, the Caribbean, Central America, and South America in the areas of project finance, M&A, direct and indirect foreign investment, commercial, public, institutional, and specialty lending areas, as well as, global wealth and treasury management services. Prior to joining Florida Community Bank, Mr. Muñoz held executive positions in Miami with BBVA Compass Bank, Professional Bank, Marquis Bank (president and CEO), Regions Bank, Israel Discount Bank, Mizuho Bank, and Barclay’s Bank. He began his career with Bank of America in 1980.
Mr. Muñoz was born in Panama to American parents and lived in Hong Kong for six years as an adolescent. After moving to Miami, he earned an associate’s degree at Miami-Dade College, and a bachelor’s degree in finance and international business from Florida International University and now holds numerous diplomas and certificates in the field of banking. He is a visiting professor at FIU, and speaks regularly to professional and civic organizations on banking and leadership topics.
Mr. Muñoz is the 2019 chair of the World Trade Center Miami, and serves in leadership roles in other South Florida civic organizations. He is an officer on the executive board of the Miami-Dade Beacon Council, where he helped guide trade missions to Spain in 2017 and 2018, and is strategic member the 2019 trade mission to Asia. He is treasurer and finance committee chair of the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, and former chairman and president of the Florida International Bankers Association, where he served as founding chair of the Asian Markets Committee, which initiated a historic compliance training agreement between FIBA and the Hong Kong Institute of Bankers. He is also serves on the executive and advisory boards of The Center for Financial Training Southeastern Chapter, the advisory board of the Center for Leadership at Florida International University; and is a member of the Hong Kong Business Association of Florida.
In the community, Mr. Muñoz is an executive board member of the South Florida Council, Boy Scouts of America; a board member of the Chapman Partnership for the Homeless; a trustee board member of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society for South Florida. Reflecting his commitment to the community, Mr. Muñoz has received numerous awards and recognitions, including the following:
- Named Special Diplomatic Envoy to the Republic of Panama by The Sovereign Order of Saint John of Jerusalem Knights of Malta Federation of the Autonomous Priories in 2018.
- Received the 2018 “Silver Beaver Award,” from the South Florida Council, Boy Scouts of America.
- Named to the “WACE Co-Op, Hall of Fame” in 2017 by Dr. Eduardo Padron, president of Miami Dade College.
- Awarded the “Distinguished Alumni Torch Award” by Florida International University in 2017.
- Under his leadership, BBVA Compass was named “Company of the Year” by the Spain-U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Miami in 2016.
- Inducted into the Miami Dade College “Hall of Fame” in the area of Banking and Finance in 2016.
- Honored with the “Florida Business Ambassador Award” from Gov. Rick Scott in 2015.
- Named “Best of Miami” in the area of International Banking and Finance by Miami Today in 2015.
- Received the inaugural “Philanthropist of the Year” award by Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of South Florida in 2015, and was named “Man of the Year” in 2010.
- Given The “Hispanic Heritage-Good Scout Award” in 2014 by the South Florida Council, Boy Scouts of America.
- Received the 12th Annual “International Banking and Finance Award” by The Miami-Dade Beacon Council in 2014.
- Recognized by the South Florida Business Journal as a “Power Leader in Banking and Finance” in 2014.
- Graduated from The Center for Leadership at Florida International University “Senior Executive Leaders” program for CEOs in 2013 and was voted “Class President and Valedictorian” by his peers.
- Named a founding board member of the “Florida Film and Television Investment Board” by Gov. Lawton Chiles in 1994.
On a personal side, Mr. Muñoz and his wife Terri have five children. In addition to spending time with his family, Mr. Muñoz loves to cook, travel and enjoy the many cultures of the world and is fluent in English and Spanish.