Ethical and effective leadership is defined by the quality of the choices leaders make for themselves, their organizations and the communities they serve. The Center for Leadership at Florida International University understands that for leaders to position themselves to make better decisions more often, the process of leadership development should be continuous and intentional. Over time, what also should develop is a personal leadership philosophy, a deeper understanding of self and a repertoire of competencies consistent with effective leadership outcomes.
Effective leadership is evidenced and defined by behavior and action – it’s not about “being” a leader, but “doing leadership well.” The Center’s model for leadership development, then, focuses on two epicenters: self-insight and developable skills.
- Self-Insight: To be most effective a leader must first begin to look inward and be prepared to take a deep dive into who they are, how they think, how they view the world, and to question the basis for these perceptions. While it is unlikely that an individual may be able to change these more core characteristics, deep self-awareness can help leaders proactively manage leadership behaviors.
- Leadership skills: The application of cutting-edge research vetted by leading practitioners allows leaders to learn, practice and develop actionable skills and behaviors consistent with effective leadership.
The Center for Leadership faculty and staff are dedicated to exploring leadership thought and practice through continuous research, providing opportunities for leaders to develop keen self-insight, and teaching leadership competencies that will equip them to meaningfully transform their organizations and their societies. Through research, executive development programs and community engagement opportunities, the Center for Leadership is committed to equipping better leaders for a better world.
To provide leadership development that transforms and emboldens individuals and organizations to positively impact our world.
We achieve this by creating new knowledge, presenting innovative developmental paradigms and encouraging leadership conversations across age, industry and levels of responsibility.
To be a unique resource of leadership research and development contributing to an increase of transformational leaders.
The Center for Leadership at Florida International University is dedicated to exploring leadership thought and practice. Read our reports and learn how we helped build Better Leaders for a Better World.
Our leadership development program alumni include organizational leaders from industries including health care, banking and finance, technology, retail, education, government, and the military from 20 countries and 4 continents. More than 3,800 individuals representing 288 organizations have provided leadership development opportunities for their established managers and rising stars through Center programs, including
- Adrienne Arsht Center
- Anthem, Inc.
- Baptist Health South Florida
- Baxter Healthcare
- Carnival Corporation
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Daikin Applied
- Federal Express
- Florida International University
- Florida Power and Light
- MasterCard Worldwide
- Miami-Dade County Public Schools
- Ocean Bank
- Perry Ellis International
- Royal Caribbean International
- Ryder Systems, Inc.
- State Farm Insurance
- Sunshine State Health Plan
- The Miami Foundation
- United States Southern Command
- United Way of Miami-Dade
- Walmart Stores, Inc.